Friday 15 August 2008

Windows Vista SP1 32 bit

I think I have written about the benefits of upgrading from 32 bit windows to a 64 bit windows OS before. However, with the release of Windows XP SP3, Microsoft has not been able to solve the problem of physical memory limitation of 4GB on the 32 bit system. If you have 4GB of memory in your system and you are using 32 bit Windows XP with SP3, you will still be short of 1GB. However, with the SP1 of the Windows VIsta, things are different.


If you noticed, upgrading to Windows SP1 on a 32 bit system will see that under system properties, the right amount of memory should appear on the computer screen. However, think again! Double click on 'My Computer' icon on the desktop and look under 'help'. If you have 4GB of phycial memory installed as I do, you will only be getting 3GB instead of 4GB although the system properties have stated that it is utilising 4GB. Weird, isn't it?


I think the best thing to do is to revert back to Windows XP Pro with 64 bit as I am quite happy with Windows XP anyway. I am not thinking of 32 bit anymore because my pc will have more than 4GB of memory soon.

No comments: