Sunday 22 April 2018

Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus - Simple Review After One Month

Introduction
Before I begin, I would like to point out that I use an Apple Iphone as my daily driver for the last ten years, although I had the opportunity to use an Android OS mobile phone for a short period of time throughout the years. I like the simple and yet easy to use interface by the iOS platform. Lately, however, things have changed.

My Requirements in a modern smart phone
I have decided to switch to the dark side and use an Android OS mobile phone instead. My requirements are simple. With the Android OS platform, I just need a well all-rounder phone with at least 64GB of storage with the ability to use MicroSD cards to increase the storage of the mobile phone. The camera phone have optical image stabilisation (OIS), it must have a headphone jack and some sort of water resistant. Last but not least, the mobile phone must not be too expensive. 

Samsung Galaxy S9+
In the end, I have decided to try out the Samsung Galaxy S9 plus (S9+) with 128GB. It is a single SIM and it does not come with a hybrid SIM tray. The reason why I have not chosen the 256GB is that it is not available in the United Kingdom unless it has been done via a grey import which you could obtain it from the internet. I have reliable sources informing me that a brand new SIM free 256GB hybrid SIM S9+ will cost around £850 in Asian countries, particularly in Hong Kong. I don't think I would rely on a grey import because Samsung will not honour the warranty in UK, unless the device is sold in EU countries. Having said that, there are occasions where mobile phones being purchased through an official Samsung outlet within the EU countries have been refused repairs by Samsung UK. That is why it is best to buy the device in UK.

Specifications on the Samsung Galaxy S9+

CPU/GPU/Modem:
Since I have acquired the device in the UK, it comes with the Samsung Exynos 9810 (4x2.7Ghz Mongoose M3 & 4x1.8Ghz Cortex A55) and the GPU is powered by Mali G72MP18. Anandtech has done a very good job in producing a report, comparing the Exynos 9810 on the S9+ with its predecessor, the Exynos 8895. Honestly, I am a big fan of the Exynos, although the performance may yet beat the Snapdragon 845 chipset which it could be found inside S9+ devices being sold in the US and China. The radio modem inside the S9+ is a beast. It is compatible with 2G, 3G and over 22 4G bands! I am most impressed!

Body/Display/Camera/Memory
I like the shinning glass front and back body of the S9+. On paper, both front and back glass are protected by Gorilla Glass 5 with an aluminium chassis. I like the non-slip sides as it has some grip. It helps to prevent accidental drops of the phone. It is 189g in weight and I fancy the 6.2" display with 1440x2960ppi. The screen is gorgeous! However, I feel that sometimes the amber sensor on the S9+ may need software tweaking to allow better calibration of the screen brightness when automatic brightness has been selected.

Last year, I have tried out the S8 instead of the S8 plus, simply because both of these devices only came with a single camera lense. The S9+ now comes with a dual camera setup back camera with stunning results when taking pictures or videos, thanks to its new main dual aperature 12MP camera lense, capable of switching between f1.5 and f2.4. The secondary lense at the back is also 12MP with f2.4. Both of these lenses has Optical Image Stabilisers. It is a hardware stabiliser, unlike the new Sony XZ2, relying on Electronic Image Stabilisers which is software based. The S9+ could video up to 2k resolution at 60fps and it comes with a super slow motion mode. It allows users to take videos  up to 960fps at 720p resolution. Perhaps Samsung may want to improve on the super slow-mo and allow users to take slow-mo at 1080p in the near future. The secondary camera comes with a 8MP lense with f1.7 aperature and it supports autofocus and users can take videos up to 1440p at 30fps. Both primary and secondary lenses will support High Dynamic Range capture. The S9, on the other hand, will only have one 12MP primary camera with dual aperatures.

Samsung has decided to officially sell their S9+ in the UK that comes in 128GB of internal storage and 6GB of RAM. It is strange as they also sell 64GB and the 256GB version as well but they only sell the 128GB officially in the UK. That is pretty strange. I guess that it is their strategy of promoting the S9+ over the S9 as the S9 will only have 64GB of storage.

Navigation
One thing that I like Samsung phones so much is due to their willingness to support many GPS technologies. The S9+ is no different. The device support A-GPS, GLONASS(Russian GPS system), BeiDou (Chinese GPS system, and GALILEO (EU GPS system). Too bad as Samsung could have included QZSS (Japanese GPS system) but I dont' think that it is a problem as the system will soon be integrated into GALILEO. With four GPS systems located inside the S9+, it will give users a more accurate reading of their locations. This is great!

Good Points
For the past one month, I had the privilege to use the S9+ and I am finding it difficult to move back to the Apple Iphone anymore. This is because the device is jam-packed with features that is equipped with 2018 specifications. It comes with a rather curvy screen (Infinity Display) with good brightness. It allows users to see the screen under direct sunlight. Apart from that, the phone has improved Iris and facial scanner. I have tried it and I am happy with the improvements. However, I would not rely on it too much though. I am more comfortable with the finger print reader instead.

I also like the fact that the S9+ is water resistant (IP68) and it comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack! This is less getting popular as many modern devices have done away with a 3.5mm headphone jack (*cough* *cough* Apple). The 3500mAh battery can easily last me for one day with moderate usage. On the other hand, I do appreciate that Samsung has included a MicroSD slot to increase the internal storage. This is just nice as I have purchased a 128GB Samsung EVO Plus (Read Speed: Up to 100MB/s; Write Speed: Up to 90MB/s) to compliment the 128GB UFS 2.1 internal storage.

The S9+ runs on Samsung's own UI (Touchwiz) based on Android 8.0.0 Oreo. It is destined to receive Android 8.1 very soon. It supports Wifi calling and 4G calling (subjected to network settings). Apart from that, the bundled AKG tuned headphones is just marvellous! The sound quality on the supplied headphones is stunning, although the bass could have been more punchy but I am not going to complain. I am satisfied with the sound quality on the headphone provided. The stereo speakers on the S9+ is also an advantage to Samsung, simply because they failed to implement a pair of speakers on the S8/S8 plus devices. The S9/S9+ is a good buy with stereo speakers! I like the good sound range coming out from those two speakers on the S9+. I am impressed. Moreover, using navigation apps on the S9+ is a breeze. Locations will only take a brief moment to get locked on, much quicker than the S8 that I have used last year. I am also in favour of the fast charge and wireless charging! It will save me from the need to plug in the usb c cable to recharge the phone all the time. Potentially the usb c charging port will be preserved for longivity. Samsung has bundled a full usb A to usb C adaptor as well as a microUSB to usb c adaptor in the box itself. I like it!

Bad Points
There are several small issues that bugged me when I was using it as mt daily driver for the past one month. First of all, it is much better to use the phone with both hands as it is rather large. It is also slightly heavier at 189g. With my Ringke cover, it has increased the weight of the device to 195g. Certainly it is not light but it is acceptable, taking into account the screen size of the device and the heavier battery on the S9 plus. Secondly, it is not a cheap device. However, just give it 6 months and it will be more affordable. Thirdly, 4G calling is not possible if you have purchased a unit directly from Samsung. This is because 4G calling will only work if the firmware is network specific, i.e. if you are running on EE in the UK, you need to obtain an EE firmware. Otherwise 4G will not function. That is why there are many people who will sign up to a contract with network providers just to use 4G calling. The workaround is to flash the device with an official firmware from the network. However, you are running at a risk as Samsung would not accept any tempering with the device.

Overall
In summary, I have more love to the S9+ than doubts. I will certainly give it a thumbs up and I will use it as my daily driver. It is a marvellous piece of engineering. It shows that Samsung is listening to customer's feedback. I am quite happy because most of the mobile networks in the UK is optimised on an Android OS mobile phone and not on the iOS. I could be wrong but I have tried so many devices for the past few years and statistics would tell me that mobile networks in the UK is optimised for Android OS. I don't get signal problems when I am using the S9+ or any modern flagship mobile phones running on the Android OS but I do get signal issues when using an iphone device.       


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very useful review. I've been planning to buy this model from iPrice Thanks for this info.