Wednesday 28 November 2007

Skype on Symbian phones - a myth?

I am just sick and tired of people saying that skype is ONLY usable on pcs and laptops but not on mobile. Common folks, look at Windows Mobile 6! There is actually a link from skype.com to download the .cab file to install on the Windows Mobile 6 device and use it to make free VOIP calls! It actually works on WIFI and also through GPRS if you do not have WIFI on your Windows Mobile unit.


With the advanced techonology, the Nokia N800 tablet device got the approval from the authorities to run skype freely. This is a good news because users will be able to use skype on the N800. Wait, what about Symbian S60 devices then? Mobile phones like the N series (N73, N93, N93i, N95, N95 8GB, N81, N81 8GB and then latest N82)? Mobile operaters in the UK have disabled VOIP function (I believed through hardware) except for 3 network. That would mean that if people are desperately in need to use skype, they only have one choice - sign up a contract with 3 network. So far, only 3 network have enabled skype.


I think it is not a problem for software enginners to creat skype for Symbian S60 phones. I think the problem lies with the mobile operaters themselves. I think they do not want people to use VOIP freely and therefore discard the network themselves. I think that is what operaters like Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange had done with it. Even O2 had disabled VOIP functions on some of their phones. I don't understand as UK is a free country! Consumers should have the ability to choose what they want! Where is democracy here?


I think in this sense, more people will start using 3 network because they are the only mobile operater in the UK to allow the use of skype. I don't think there is anything wrong with the software. I think operaters disallowed skype to be installed on their phones so skype had to stop distributing the software on their website. Otherwise consumers will be able to download the software and install it before starting to use it then, right?


I think 3 is very smart in allowing skype to run on their mobile. They are cleaver because more people will start using their service. I see that their stores are getting busier as the day goes by. I think other mobile operaters should follow 3 network.


Well, one thing for certain, please be very careful in taking out a contract with 3. Don't activate your phone and also your sim card if you want to return the phone to 3 network. They will only accept any returns if the phone is not being used and also the sim card is not being activated.


I have to say that in such circumstance, 3 is being unfair to customers but that would be another issue which I will be writing. At the mean time, I think mobile operaters should allow skype to run on their device. Otherwise 3 will conquer them all!!!

No comments: