Tuesday 25 March 2008

Antivirus

I have always stree out that it is very important for personal computers or laptops to be equipped with antivirus softwares. It is important because it will protect a computer from potential virus, trojans and also worm. Presently, most of the modern antivirus systems includes other functions as well such as firewall and anti-spyware. The question is whether it is good to have one single product covering everything.


For a very long time now, I have been using Norton Antivirus. I do remember that when I started using NA, my pc will eventually hang because it is very power hungry. Well, just imagine a pc running on Pentium Pro 180 with 64MB EDO memory. Hum... Not very fast, eh? Oh well, at that time, I have never heard of firewall softwares. Even Internet Explorer comes without 128bit encryption as standard. Oh well, at that time I started using McAfee.


Mcafee is relatively good but the scanning takes ages to complete! I don't really fancy using McAfee but I had no choice at that time because NA is just taking up a lot of resources. McAfee does not take up a lot of resources and it is quite effective against viruses. Next came Trend PC-cillin. It is the cheapest among the three antivirus products which I have mentioned and sadly, the detection level is not as good as McAdfee but nevertheless it is much better than Norton Antivirus because it does not use up a lot of resouceses.


Anyway, it is not to worry because now we have a better product. It is called Eset NOD32! It is very good in the sense that it is cheap and also the level of detection by this product is very high. I am quite impressed with it. We have NA 360 which is kinda lame in the name but it has everything that you need. It has inbuild firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware and also scanning of e-mail. It makes Windows Defender redundant.


Anyway, I don't really like Norton Antivirus 360. As before, it is power hungry and the pc will slow down quite a lot. If you want to buy one, get the Eset NOD32 instead. As for me, I would prefer some FREE antivirus software! Oh yes. It is called AVG antivirus. Oh well, I would have to qualify myself. I have intended to use the free version of the AVG antivirus but since I fell in love with it, I went to buy a copy for myself. I got a copy of AVG's Internet Security 7.5 which has an antivirus, a firewall, anti-spyware, e-mail scanning and also an automatic update service. It is not too expensive at £20 for a two years licence. together with Zone Alarm firewall (free version), it is excellent! They do compliment each other.


Ofcause there are plenty of free antivirus programmes in the world but I think the list can go on and on but Eset's NOD32 and AVG fills within the shortlist over here.

No comments: