Saturday 5 September 2009

Intel Centrino 2

I am pretty happy with the way how new and improved laptops could be. Newer models of the laptop featuring Intel’s Centrino 2 suggest that it has an in-build turbo mode to accomplish what overclockers have been trying to do by tweaking the laptop to enable the whole system to run faster without damaging much of the cpu or the motherboard.

As you all know, Intel has done it again! I was playing Need For Speed: Carbon and I’ve managed to clock my laptop’s speed to 2.8Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz! That is an increase of 400 MHz as compared to the stock speed! I am really impressed! Couple with the world renowned 1GB ATI HD 4570, the laptop flies! The Dell Studio 1555 which I am using right now is living up to its expectation. One can really utilize the full potential of the laptop in question. What is important is that you need to be gentle with the laptop and that is about it. The cpu exhaust fan is located at the back of the laptop so it will not be a problem if you want to put the laptop on your bed. Please make sure that you don’t block the ventilation hole at the back of the laptop.

Right now, Intel will be releasing the new and upgraded version of the 45nm cpu to include four cores into one. It is just like the mobile extreme cpus which is currently featured on many Alienwares and also Rock laptops. However, such cpus take up lots of heat and so the laptop will be heavy when OEMs have to accommodate larger heatsink and fans to drive the heat away. Until now, two companies have released two Core i7 laptops.

You would have known, both laptops are pretty heavy. It will be not too long before Intel will be able to release the mobile version of the Core i7 later this year or the latest, in 2010. I will be looking forward to hearing from them. In the mean time, I think I’m quite satisfied with my Intel P8600 cpu. It does not come with 6MB of L2 cache but it is alright. I will be waiting for the Intel P9600 cpu. It comes with a 6MB of L2 cache with better efficiency in its TDP as compared to its bigger brother, the T9600 which takes in around 10W more for its TDP.

No comments: