Tuesday 3 November 2009

Education Proposal

Lord Mandelson has spoken with great pride this morning about the role of a university. Universities must now accept children with lower grades or poor children who has high grades but missed out on the boat to popular universities due to the fact that they are poor. While I can accept that it is good for the prince of darkness to get people into the universities, I am surprised that he could really agree on the fact that universities should in fact "lower their expectations" to take onboard students with lower grades.

Since it is a sensitive issue, I'm not going to go into details. What I would want to do is to voice out my concern, that is all. Students are behaving like "consumers" and there is nothing which a university can do about it. What happens if the majority of students are behaving badly? Where is the standard when we need it?

No comments: