Wednesday 19 May 2010

Laptop Modding

I was quite dissatisfied with the temperature of my Dell Studio 15. In fact, many customers complaint but I don't think Dell is listening to its customers. I was one of those unfortunate soul who thinks that Dell would have improved on their heatsink design as new Studio range rolls out. I was wrong.

With the Dell Studio 1555, the GPU was running around 90c under load. My CPU temperature was registering at around 90c under load. I just don't understand why wouldn't Dell come up with a design which will silent the fan noise on their laptops?

I had had enough of this. I went up on the internet to look for any clues in which I could decrease the Studio's CPU and GPU temperature. Mind you, I do take the Studio apart once every few months to give it a good clean. Most of the time I will find lumps of dusts and that is why I need cleaning more often. Even though I have cleaned the heatsink/fan by tearing it apart, it does not solve the problem of a temperature registering at 90c even after cleaning the heatsink/fan under load.

I took the liberty to do a research online in a bid to end the heat problem on the Studio 15. Eventually, I found the answer. I bought an ICD7 thermal paste and a copper shim which would just fit onto the GPU. I was quite happy as the goods arrived without much delay. Immediately I was down to tearing the laptop apart. I have managed to remove everything and clean up the heatsink/fan. This time, I did something different. I have removed the old thermal paste on the South Bridge, CPU and also the GPU.

After cleaning it with TIM-clean, I have to let it dry. After that, I used one copper shim on the GPU (I have put some ICD7 on both sides) and another on the video ram chips. I did apply ICD7 on both sides of the copper shims. I have also apply the ICD7 on the CPU and the North Bridge (I think it is North and not South Bridge).

The laptop fired up without much problem. I will have to keep a watchful eye on the temperature as to whether the copper shim with ICD7 really work.

Update:
26/05/2010 - After a week of testing, I am very happy to say that it worked!!! The copper shims and the ICD7 thermal paste actually lowered the CPU and the GPU on my laptop! That is just marvellous!

No comments: