Thursday 16 December 2010

4G in UK?

I have been looking up on the recent development of 4G services in the UK. As we know, 4G is not officially launched in the UK yet as mobile networks are still in the development stage at this moment. I don't think they are eager to roll out 4G at this moment.

However, for those of you who are in Slough or in Carlisle and if you are using O2 UK, you will be in luck! O2 is currently conducting trails of 4G services in these two areas and it has been demonstrated on their website recently. I was really impressed with their achievement so far. That is the good side of O2.

Taking 4G into rural areas and increasing the bandwidth will be nice especially for me. At this moment, I am using Vodafone at the moment and the nearest Vodafone mast is around one kilometer away. That is why I am having difficulty in sustaining constant good 3G coverage. Once I am around 200 yards down the road, I will have 4 bars of 3G service. That is why I am having constant drop calls on my mobile phone. I don't like the fact that I have to install a femtocell in my house. It acts like a 3G base station and it is bad for health, let alone our mobile phones in the house!

Overall, Orange, T-mobile and 3 UK all have strong 3G signals in my house. I can only receive 2.5G on the O2 UK network. It goes the same to any O2 MNVOs e.g. Tesco Mobile and Giffgaff. I think I will start using the Tesco Mobile once my Vodafone contract runs out as I am paying too much at the moment. Tesco is offering £10 per month for a SIM only deal! I think that is just fabulous, don't you think so? For £10 a month, you could have 500 minutes of inclusive minutes, unlimited text messages and 1GB of data! For that sort of plan, I have to pay around £30 on Vodafone.

As for O2, I think it is best for them to solve the existing problems before rolling out new technology. We do not want to have something like the Microsoft experience or the HTC experience. HTC's speakers and battery life is well known to be flawed while Microsoft's OS is customary to contain lots of bugs!

No comments: