Sunday 23 October 2011

Parallels Desktop 7

If you are an avid Mac user and does not want to use a PC but still need some Windows based programmes, how are you going to work it out then? There are two options which you could do.

(a) Install Windows under BootCamp;
(b) Install Parallels Desktop for Mac.

If you were to follow the (a) route, it will allow you to have full access to a typical Windows partition and you will be able to work on it as if you are running Windows on a Mac. It is only possible if you are using an Intel based Macs.

However, if you want to run Mac OS X but still have second bit of the cherry under option (b), you have two main choices - VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop for Mac.

I would have to warn you that by using VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop for Mac, it means that you are effectively running the platform on virtualisation as it is supported by the latest Intel cpu chipset. The next question to ask is which programme is better?

To start off with, you are allowed to 'test drive' these two virtualisation softwares. From my previous experience with both, I would have to say that both softwares are equally good in the sense of their functionality. However, if I am given the option between VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop for Mac, I will choose the later.

The reason why do I prefer Parallels Desktop as opposed to VMware Fusion is the resources which it needs and the stability of the software itself. No doubt that I had teething problems with Parallels Desktop 6 as it was quite resource hungry when I was running Java on it but the problem has been rectified in Parallels Desktop 7. Another good point in using the software is that you will get constant updates all the time.

If you were to use VMware Fusion, the situation is similar with Parallels Desktop but the latest VMware 4 is still more resource hungry, in my opinion and not as stable as Parallels Desktop 7 but I could be wrong.

That is why at the end of the day, it is up to the individual's choice. For me personally, I would choose Parallels Desktop 7 as I am more comfortable with it.

No comments: