Saturday 30 June 2012

Data Nightmare with O2 UK

I have been with O2 UK for around seven years and I have never upgraded my old contract simply because I have unlimited text and unlimited internet which comes with the package not forgetting 1200 minutes and I can use the inclusive text messages when I am overseas to send text messages or MMS back to the UK.

Around one year ago, I thought that it will be a good idea for me to upgrade to the latest Samsung Galaxy S2 so I had to sign on a new contract. In doing so, I have obviously said "goodbye" to my old contract for good. The new O2 UK contract allows me to make 600 minutes of UK calls with unlimited text messages and 500MB of data every month. I cannot send free text messages while I am abroad anymore and certainly not even free MMS.

Fast forward one year later, I have finally realised that it was a bad move when I have upgraded my contract. I should have make a purchase for the Samsung Galaxy S2 as a SIM Free while continue using my old contract as I am always being charged for using more than 500MB of data per month. I just don't get it because I rarely use internet unless I am browsing through BBC News so I could not have used more than 500MB a month! I was really unhappy with O2 UK so I have decided to give them a few calls but sad to say that they could not do anything for me because they are relying on their system and I could not argue that I have not used more than 500MB a month even though I have used a third party app which clearly states that I have used less than 500MB a month. In the end, I have asked for a PAC. I am lucky because I have signed a one year contract with O2 UK and not a two years contract with O2 UK so I can just leave O2 UK without paying any penalty.

Well, you may ask me where have I landed and I am really proud to say that I am with Giffgaff at this moment. I could not ask for more and not even 3UK can come close to my need as 3UK does not have good 3G signal in my area. It will be pointless to check your 3UK mobile coverage on their website as it does not explain much. I think it is a waste of time to do it unlike the other mobile network providers like O2 UK and Vodafone UK. I feel that O2 UK is simply much better as they have an online checker on whether there is any planned maintenance or outage via postcode but felt let down by their system.

Having said that, I still like the O2 network and I would really like to stay with the network so I went off to Giffgaff. Giffgaff is like a spin off from O2 and they run on the O2 network so I thought that I should give them a chance. I have to report that I am pretty happy with the level of service by the members of Giffgaff. In fact, I am only paying £10 a month for an inclusive 250 minutes a month with unlimited text messages and internet while remaining in the UK. I feel that £10 suits me well as I have started to use VOIP services more often than making celullar calls these days as it is more affordable ( for example: 0.01p to USA and China landline per minute via Skype) and the use of imessage if you are using an Iphone running on iOS 5 and above (It will be free, ofcause provided you have a data plan).

I would urge people in the UK to start using Giffgaff unless the coverage is bad where you are living. If you are getting good O2 UK coverage, why not give Giffgaff a chance?

1 comment:

Sizzling LEO said...

Nice Blog and yes it is true that Since 1985 O2 has been the first choice for various business organizations, with cutting-edge technology. O2 Business Mobile Deals are cheaper and efficient, offering many business solutions.